Skip to main content

Mi Primera Fin de Semana en Espana - My first weekend in Spain

This was my first view from my hotel when I arrived on Friday afternoon:


 After a short nap, MUCH needed but short because I did want to sleep later that night, this was the view that I woke to...

The clouds had burned away and it was SO beautiful! There's a beautiful walkway along the ocean. People are always walking, running and biking along it.

I discovered that, though I'd bought an adapter at home, it was not the correct one for Spain. So I headed out to explore and with one thing in mind. Stopping first at the reception desk, I exchanged some money and asked for directions to a location where I could purchase said adapter. Thankfully they had a map that they gave me and pointed out a store just up the street that would probably have what I was looking for.

Before walking up the streets in search, I stopped to admire the view closer.  This statue is located right outside of the hotel. Here's a close up:

 

As I sat in this area I obviously looked like a tourist, with my travel purse and the map out :)  An older gentleman came up and asked, in Spanish of course, if I was from here.  We then proceeded to talk, in Spanish, for about thirty minutes as he pointed out places of interest on my map. Quite the introduction to Spain and a little test of my Spanish speaking skills on a jet lagged brain...

After I found the adapter that I was looking for and managing to pay for it in euros, I took off walking around the city.  It is beautiful!  And I love just wandering.  Here are a few places that I wandered upon...

I bought fruit from here, just a few pieces, but still :)

There was this beautiful tip of, what I presumed was a church.  So I decided to wander in that direction.


Got distracted by this church just "popping" up from no where!

And down some stairs, here's the building that that spire was attached to!  A beautiful plaza! Come to find out, later, that this is the main plaza in the old city :)


Turning down a side street I managed to find several shops in an area that was only pedestrian walking.  Loved this door handle.


 I managed to find my way back to my hotel room and I had a welcome gift!  Water, a note and some yummy prosciutto wrapped melon with a cherry tomato on top.  Not a fan of the tomatoes, but the rest was yummy!




That was pretty much it for my half a day in Spain.  Here's the view of the sunset that night...


Buenas noches A Coruna!


I slept pretty well, with the window open, listening to the waves.  Around nine in the morning there was a knock on my door.  This is what I inadvertently ordered the night before:


 And this was the view out my window:


 Took a picture of the bikers for my dad :)


 Decided after breakfast that I needed to walk along the walkway.  A must on such a lovely day!



A view from my hotel from a ways down.


Bicycle rentals... There's a tandem on the right.



This is the Torre de Hercules, a light house that is over 2000 years old! Gonna walk up there some day when I'm here.
 

A panorama of la mar:


For lunch I headed back to the plaza. Stopped at a bar and ordered a tortilla and pork, along with a glass of white wine.


Continuing on my walk I took this picture. So beautiful!


After my walk I went back to the hotel for a nap.  Dinner here starts at 9ish, so around 8 I headed back out on the search for coffee.  I found some :)


And later, during dinner, sangria! Yum!!!


That was the end of my Saturday in A Coruna.

Today, Sunday, has been very nice. More walking around, surprise, surprise.  My legs are starting to feel it, but I'm not at all complaining about that!

Comments