Skip to main content

On the road again **Update**

About two months ago, an email went out at work. It went something like this on a Friday afternoon,

"I (being my boss' boss...) am looking for a list of volunteers who would go to the Philippines for three months. There would be no time to come home for a break during this time. I need an answer to give to the Company by Monday."

Being the somewhat reluctant traveler that I am (NOT!) my response was "something" like this...

"I'LL GO!!! When is it?"

Unknown to be was the fact I had accidentally hit respond to all, so every manager and every senior, saw how "un"willing I was to go...
That was Easter weekend. I told my family, got all excited about the possibility, and moved on. Again, being the "reluctant" traveler that I am, I didn't get online and look at flights to the Philippines and I didn't try to find where I would be located. Of course I didn't look up World Venture Missionaries in the off chance that I'd go and get to see them, and I didn't get really excited about my Mongolian friends who are in the Philippines studying at a seminary. Oh, and of course, I didn't go looking for blogs on the Philippines so I could get some idea what the culture was like. Nope, not me!
Anyhoo, Monday came around and I didn't hear anything, accept for one co-worker coming around asking if we had valid passports. Seeing as mine was renewed last year, I double checked. Is an expiration date of 2018 a problem? No? Okay, I'm set...
Tuesday rolled around and nothing...
Wednesday came around and the training manger comes by my desk. Now, the email and the rumors going around indicated that we weren't going to send trainers overseas, so I'm thinking nothing of the fact that he's standing at my desk. Probably something coming up, like new product or something... He leans over my desk and quietly asks me,
-Is your passport up to date?
Yes (see above)
-Do you have any plans for June through August?
No! (Well, technically, yes, I was going to go on vacation with my family, but I'd already told them, "I love you, but... Philippines or a bike trip? Hmm, guess what? I can bike next year right?") so, No!
-So, unofficially (you can't tell anyone yet) I'm going to send you to the Philippines for two to three months... followed by some details that aren't important....
YES!!! (just a tad excited with a HUGE grin on my face)

Fast forward two weeks and a few conversations later, I'm jazzed and I'm gone! It's still unofficial, however I've got the list of shots I'd need, the list of passport photos that I'll need, a few details on the classes I'd be training, enough to really be gone already and I get this message from my boss...

-you're not going to the Philippines. Sorry.

Oh, man, totally destroy my day!

Life's gone one. I still occasionally read the blog, but I took all the markers off my google earth, and I don't remember the missionaries any more and I told my Mongolian friends I'm not coming. And I'm excited about that bike trip with my family... Until Saturday when a car decided to hit me (but I'm still going), and then Monday not much happened. I was in lot's of pain (to be expected) but glad to find a doctor across the street (literally) and then Tuesday when I went to work, just cause I was bored (well, kinda). I ran into my training boss and was telling him about what happened. He looks at me and says,

-do you think you'd be okay to take a 15 hour flight in July?

Yeah!

So, once again, I'm supposedly going to the Philippines! Not as long this time, only for a month!!! In theory I'm leaving the end of July and will be there through August. It feels a bit more official this time as he's emailing me the visa applications this week and he was telling me this in front of other people. So, yeah, seeing as I'm not so keen on travel, I'm NOT AT ALL EXCITED!!!!!!


***UPDATE***
I have an itinerary!!! Leaving July 29th. Returning August 29th!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to all my friends and family who read this, and to anyone else who happens along! While I'm stuck at work, for a short shift, and wishing I were with family I thought I'd post something, since I have the time and this list seems to be making it's way throughout bloggland. Yes, I borrowed this from Stacy who borrowed it from... My Favorites of the Christmas Season: Smell - Baking (pumpkin bread, nutmeg, cinamon, bananna bread, fudge...) Song - Angels we have herd on high Food - Mom's swedish bread Symbol - christmas lights Tradition - Chinese food on Christmas Eve followed by opening up one gift, usually pajamas if they were under the tree Movie - White Christmas Sweet - fudge Gift Received - Last year mom got be a book I didn't think she'd actually buy and I've loved having it! There's a link to it here . Gift Given - I was pretty excited about my Dad's gift several years back. Compiling his music into one big 3 ring binder. Meal - Ha

Oregon stereotypes

Okay, so my friend Nicole sent me this email and I loved it. Enjoy! "Lake Oswego Barbie" This princess Barbie is sold only at the Pioneer Square Mall. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade Handbags, a Lexus SUV, a long-haired foreign dog named Honey and a cookie-cutter house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with the augmented version. "Beaverton Barbie" The modern day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar Minivan and matching gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full-time occupation. Traffic jamming cell phone sold separately. "Woodburn Barbie" This recently paroled Bilingual Barbie comes with a 9mm handgun, a Ray Lewis knife, a Chevy with dark tinted windows, and a Meth Lab Kit. This model is only available after dark and must be paid for in cash (preferably small, untraceable bills) unless you are a cop, then we don't know what you are talking about. "Bend Barbie

Mi Primera Fin de Semana en Espana - My first weekend in Spain

This was my first view from my hotel when I arrived on Friday afternoon:  After a short nap, MUCH needed but short because I did want to sleep later that night, this was the view that I woke to... The clouds had burned away and it was SO beautiful! There's a beautiful walkway along the ocean. People are always walking, running and biking along it. I discovered that, though I'd bought an adapter at home, it was not the correct one for Spain. So I headed out to explore and with one thing in mind. Stopping first at the reception desk, I exchanged some money and asked for directions to a location where I could purchase said adapter. Thankfully they had a map that they gave me and pointed out a store just up the street that would probably have what I was looking for. Before walking up the streets in search, I stopped to admire the view closer.  This statue is located right outside of the hotel. Here's a close up:   As I sat in this area I obviously loo