Skip to main content

Technical Support

Since I got back from Mongolia life has been pretty hectic so I appologize for not posting more pictures (still to come) or telling you more about my trip (also, still to come.) When I got back I realized I had 2 weeks to find a place (Praise the Lord, He provided!) and move (this weekend). On top of that, last weekend was a big family gathering, and stuff at work is changing along with my schedule. But, in an effort to at least give you something, I thought I'd tell you about one story from Mongolia that wouldn't have happened last year.
Stess, Kate and I went evangelizing in the countryside with Pugi (the pastor) and Oyuna (our translator.) We ended up at a home with three generations all living together. They were all there and invited us into their home.
Pugi spoke with them first, telling them what he did and why we, the Americans, were there. They asked what we did for work in the states. Kate works as a manager in a hotel and Stess is a teacher. Both those seem to translate well, but how do you describe tech support to someone living in a country where technology isn't like it is here and everyone doesn't own three computers? So, instead of tech support I said I fix computers.
**On a side note, I'm still not convinced I'm all that good at fixing computers even though my coworkers and manager seem to believe elswise. I guess I should say I'm not comfortable saying I'm a technician, but I am... Either way, I'm not very confidant in that ability.**
When I said I fix computers, and once it was translated, their eyes kinda got big and they looked a little bit excited. I'm sitting there thinking, "No! I don't fix computers! I'm not good at that, please don't have a computer that doesn't work. Please don't ask..." They didn't say anything about a computer, so we went on.
We were there for about an hour and a half. Pugi gave his testimony, they asked for ours, Oyuna gave hers and Pugi shared the gospel. Stess, Kate and I were just sitting there, as Oyuna was speaking we didn't know what was going on. Finally, towards the end of the time I heard "computer".
"Oh man..." Was my immediate reaction. Sure enough, Oyuna looks to me and says they have a computer that isn't working and would I be willing to take a look at it? Immediately I start thinking, "I don't have my computer in front of me and I don't have the list I can go through for troubleshooting. What if I can't fix it? What if it's some really complicated thing.......?" I looked at Kate and she's nodding her head at me saying "Go for it!" So, I told Oyuna I'd try.
I went back to the room where they had their computer at and was told that their monitor wasn't working. "Few, at least that's something that is pretty easy! I won't have to open up the inside of the pc!" So I looked at it and the power cable from the monitor showed some exposed wires. "Hmm, that could be the problem" I thought. Well, that's easy to test. I took the power cord for the pc and plugged it into the monitor. It turned on! "Yes! An easy fix!" Oyuna came in and I told them they just needed a new cable, no problem, no new monitor, just a cable.
We went back to the Home and I told Bonnie about it. I asked her what the possibility would be in finding them this cable and taking in back. Bonnie knew where the computer store was and thought we could find it if I drew her a picture. So I did and a few days later she came back from town with a cable that cost all of $2!
Since I knew what the problem was and now had a fix, I wanted to go back to the family and give it to them so Stess and I, along with a different translator, Altai, walked back to the house to give them the cord. They took me back to the room and asked me to fix it. I plugged the cable in and got everything set up, pressed the power button and nothing happened! I'm thinking, "Shoot! What did I miss? Oh, the power for the pc." Turned on the pc and the monitor came to life!
They were very happy and thought since I could fix a computer maybe I could fix their dvd player? I couldn't. But I did show them how to play some of the games on their pc and they made us fresh doughnuts!
Last year I would never had said anything that would have given me the opportunity to look at their computer. This year, I very clearly saw how God had prepaired me to do something very simple but that related to how my life has changed here in the states. It was a great feeling and I got to bless these people as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to all my friends and family who read this, and to anyone else who happens along! While I'm stuck at work, for a short shift, and wishing I were with family I thought I'd post something, since I have the time and this list seems to be making it's way throughout bloggland. Yes, I borrowed this from Stacy who borrowed it from... My Favorites of the Christmas Season: Smell - Baking (pumpkin bread, nutmeg, cinamon, bananna bread, fudge...) Song - Angels we have herd on high Food - Mom's swedish bread Symbol - christmas lights Tradition - Chinese food on Christmas Eve followed by opening up one gift, usually pajamas if they were under the tree Movie - White Christmas Sweet - fudge Gift Received - Last year mom got be a book I didn't think she'd actually buy and I've loved having it! There's a link to it here . Gift Given - I was pretty excited about my Dad's gift several years back. Compiling his music into one big 3 ring binder. Meal - Ha

Oregon stereotypes

Okay, so my friend Nicole sent me this email and I loved it. Enjoy! "Lake Oswego Barbie" This princess Barbie is sold only at the Pioneer Square Mall. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade Handbags, a Lexus SUV, a long-haired foreign dog named Honey and a cookie-cutter house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with the augmented version. "Beaverton Barbie" The modern day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar Minivan and matching gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full-time occupation. Traffic jamming cell phone sold separately. "Woodburn Barbie" This recently paroled Bilingual Barbie comes with a 9mm handgun, a Ray Lewis knife, a Chevy with dark tinted windows, and a Meth Lab Kit. This model is only available after dark and must be paid for in cash (preferably small, untraceable bills) unless you are a cop, then we don't know what you are talking about. "Bend Barbie

Mi Primera Fin de Semana en Espana - My first weekend in Spain

This was my first view from my hotel when I arrived on Friday afternoon:  After a short nap, MUCH needed but short because I did want to sleep later that night, this was the view that I woke to... The clouds had burned away and it was SO beautiful! There's a beautiful walkway along the ocean. People are always walking, running and biking along it. I discovered that, though I'd bought an adapter at home, it was not the correct one for Spain. So I headed out to explore and with one thing in mind. Stopping first at the reception desk, I exchanged some money and asked for directions to a location where I could purchase said adapter. Thankfully they had a map that they gave me and pointed out a store just up the street that would probably have what I was looking for. Before walking up the streets in search, I stopped to admire the view closer.  This statue is located right outside of the hotel. Here's a close up:   As I sat in this area I obviously loo