Skip to main content

The Best Christmas Ever!

When I was 8 my parents started looking into foster care and the possibility of adopting. I don't remember much about the process, just lots of paperwork and strangers coming over to our house to make sure it was livable. I'm sure they asked Stess and I questions about our parents to make sure we weren't being abused, but for the most part nothing really changed until I was 9 when we went to pick up this kid, a 5 year old boy who's father had abused him. His name was Troy.
Troy was with us for a year and a half before he went back to his dad. We had some great memories, along with the inevitable sibling moments :) The three of us got along great, for the most part. Stess was a little closer to him than I was, partly because of age and partly because they had much more in common, preferring sports to books.
Troy went back to his dad for about 6 months before there was more abuse. I still remember Mom picking me up from school and asking what I would think if Troy came back. Of course I was fine with that and she told me that Dad was on his way to pick him up. We were told not to ask him anything about what had happened, but being the young kids we were, that was the first thing we asked. Troy apparently came "home" with dad, put down his backpack, said, "hi mom. hi dad. where are the girls? can I go play?" before he ran across the street to play with the neighbors...
All told, Troy was with us for about 3 years and left when he was 9. There were a few foster homes where we still had contact with him, but at some point we lost touch. Mom remembers trying to find him but having Social Services refuse to give out any information.
There have been a few times where our friends have mentioned seeing him, but we've never been able to follow up on that. With the invention of Facebook and MySpace, I've tried to find him, but still with no luck.
Well, all that changed this summer, when my mom's Aunt, who was a foster parent of Troy's as well, said that Troy had come to the house where he'd lived with them! Stess and I couldn't really believe it. Apparently he's a manager at a restaurant in Portland and was asked to visit the one in Albany. On his way he decided to try and find their family. Well, mom's Aunt told him that they were going to be getting together with the family the day after Christmas and he was welcome to come. He said he'd be there.
All this we heard, but honestly, I didn't want to get my hopes up. I knew that I MIGHT see Troy this past Saturday, but...
Well, he came! I didn't believe it until someone mentioned him calling their cell, lost and wanting directions! Stess and I both looked at each other with a bit of disbelief and admitted that neither of us had really held out hope.
When he showed up, Stess and I were outside and it wasn't as uncomfortable as I thought it might be. In fact, it was great. We both went up and gave him huge hugs and it was like we really were back together with our brother.
It's funny how things that I take for granted either have been forgotten by him or are vague memories. We were staying at my Dad's family's home, so Troy got to reconnect with both sides of the family. We walked in and my Aunt Susanne gave him a big hug and my Uncle Phil shook his hand. Uncle Tim was in Italy the entire time Troy was with us, so they had never met. I about cried when my dad gave him a hug. When we went out to see Mom's side of the family Troy admitted to not realizing that we were related to them. He said when asked if he could make it or not that he wasn't sure. When he was told that we, Mom, Dad, Stess and I, were going to be there, he said he'd quit work if he had to.
It was a fantastic day! After Mom's family took off, Troy stayed for the evening with Dad's side of the family. We all had dinner together and got to spend some more time with him.
No, his life hasn't been great. He's made some bad choices, but more recently said he's trying to make better ones. Dad, Stess, Troy and my Uncle went on a bike ride and Troy got soaked so ended up wearing Dad's clothes. It was fitting.
He's living in Portland, and now that we have his number, we're not going to let him go. Stess and I both had a terrible time sleeping last night as we kept thinking about him. I got a call from him this afternoon, and it's still weird to know that I'm talking with my brother on the other line :)
To top all this off, Troy became a Christian when he was with us but I don't think he's had much of a chance to grow in his faith at all. He mentioned church a few times and Stess and I have invited him to join us at our Home group. He's planning on coming this week! And, he gets New Years day off, so I think we're planning on spending some time together...
So, my Christmas was Amazing!!! Not because I had the best gifts, though they were pretty nice ;) and not because I had a three day weekend, though I did, but because after fifteen years, I got to see my brother again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to all my friends and family who read this, and to anyone else who happens along! While I'm stuck at work, for a short shift, and wishing I were with family I thought I'd post something, since I have the time and this list seems to be making it's way throughout bloggland. Yes, I borrowed this from Stacy who borrowed it from... My Favorites of the Christmas Season: Smell - Baking (pumpkin bread, nutmeg, cinamon, bananna bread, fudge...) Song - Angels we have herd on high Food - Mom's swedish bread Symbol - christmas lights Tradition - Chinese food on Christmas Eve followed by opening up one gift, usually pajamas if they were under the tree Movie - White Christmas Sweet - fudge Gift Received - Last year mom got be a book I didn't think she'd actually buy and I've loved having it! There's a link to it here . Gift Given - I was pretty excited about my Dad's gift several years back. Compiling his music into one big 3 ring binder. Meal - Ha

Oregon stereotypes

Okay, so my friend Nicole sent me this email and I loved it. Enjoy! "Lake Oswego Barbie" This princess Barbie is sold only at the Pioneer Square Mall. She comes with an assortment of Kate Spade Handbags, a Lexus SUV, a long-haired foreign dog named Honey and a cookie-cutter house. Available with or without tummy tuck and face lift. Workaholic Ken sold only in conjunction with the augmented version. "Beaverton Barbie" The modern day homemaker Barbie is available with Ford Windstar Minivan and matching gym outfit. She gets lost easily and has no full-time occupation. Traffic jamming cell phone sold separately. "Woodburn Barbie" This recently paroled Bilingual Barbie comes with a 9mm handgun, a Ray Lewis knife, a Chevy with dark tinted windows, and a Meth Lab Kit. This model is only available after dark and must be paid for in cash (preferably small, untraceable bills) unless you are a cop, then we don't know what you are talking about. "Bend Barbie

Mi Primera Fin de Semana en Espana - My first weekend in Spain

This was my first view from my hotel when I arrived on Friday afternoon:  After a short nap, MUCH needed but short because I did want to sleep later that night, this was the view that I woke to... The clouds had burned away and it was SO beautiful! There's a beautiful walkway along the ocean. People are always walking, running and biking along it. I discovered that, though I'd bought an adapter at home, it was not the correct one for Spain. So I headed out to explore and with one thing in mind. Stopping first at the reception desk, I exchanged some money and asked for directions to a location where I could purchase said adapter. Thankfully they had a map that they gave me and pointed out a store just up the street that would probably have what I was looking for. Before walking up the streets in search, I stopped to admire the view closer.  This statue is located right outside of the hotel. Here's a close up:   As I sat in this area I obviously loo